Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Shoestring Budget Traveler in Baguio City

Who wouldn't want to save when they travel? I think everyone does. I couldn't care less at all. Traveling per se,  always entails money. But I tell you traveling need not be costly. In my recent trip to the summer capital; Baguio City, I didn't spend a lot. Why? Because I did a little bit of research, I ask some people and I was all psyched up so when I get there, I wouldn't get ripped off. Basically, the very reason why I made this blog. I want to share how I get to spend a little yet not sacrificing the fun. Hope you get a dose of inspiration when you get to read this one as well.

Here are some tips:




      1.  Book a flight early.
  • I got my ticket 6 months prior to my flight. Imagine, my ticket cost me Php 380.00 only or roughly 9 US $. How did I do that?! Hmmm.. I purchased my round trip ticket on a seat sale. Big thanks to Cebu Pacific Air! I did save some buckets. ^0^
  • For more information, you may visit their site at http://www.cebupacificair.com/

     2.  Make a hotel reservation.

    3. Location
  • It would be more convenient if you stay near the downtown area. Hotel rooms situated along Marcos Highway or somewhere at session road is a perfect haven. In my case, I stayed in Blue Mountain Hotel. It wasn't bad at all.! I stayed in a standard room and paid  Php 1560.00 for 2 days. But I have a friend to share the bill with and that made it even cheaper!


You'll be needing this -  A HOT SHOWER

  • Make some inquiry, if they do have a hot shower. Can you think how it is to be soaked in cold water be it in an ordinary day? It's freezing to death! That is most likely the feeling when you don't have this.

     4. Use Public Transportation
  • Most scenic spots are accessible. Never be afraid to try on a jeepney. It is always fun!
Jeepney
  • On the other hand, you are not on a losing end if you take a  taxi. Taxi fare in Baguio City is way lesser compared to other major cities in the Philippines. Php 35.00 is the flat down rate and P2.00 per succeeding kilometers. It also comes in different forms: the usual taxi and the van - like that can accommodate bigger groups.


    5. Prepare an itinerary.
  • It is always best to know where you are going. Primarily, it saves time and money.
  • Take a look at my itinerary.
  • *Disclaimer: Not the best itinerary; yet better than nothing!

                              Baguio in 3 Days/ 2 Nights

        Day 1
 
        7:40 am -        Arrived at NAIA 3 Terminal via a Cebu Pacific Flight


        9:00 am -         Depart at Pasay Terminal going to Baguio

        3:30 pm -        Arrival at Victory Bus Terminal (Baguio)


        4:00 pm -        Go to SM Baguio to munch something and buy some toiletries  

        6:00 pm -        Check - in in your chosen hotel

        7:00 pm -        Dinner

        8:00 pm -        Go to nearby Bunham Park for bargain hunting

        Day 2

        8:00 am -         Breakfast

        9:00 am -         Mines View Park (take pictures and buy some souvenirs; Wright Park; The Mansion; Tam - awan Village

      12:30 am -         Lunch at a fast food chain Session Road

        1:30 pm -         Camp John Hay, Scout Hill (enjoy the sights and the breeze)

        3:00 pm -          Philippine Military Academy

        4:00 pm -          Bencab Museum

        5:00 pm -          Bargain hunting right in front of Adanao Square

        6:00 pm -          Dinner at Adanao Square

        7:30 pm -          Baguio Market

        9:00 pm -          Bedtime

      Day 3

        8:00 am -          Breakfast

        8:30 am -          Check out in Baguio Hotel

        9:00 am -           Victory Bus Terminal 

  • And there is more!!! You will never go wrong when you have this. Guess what?!?

4 comments:

Dan Arif said...

found this blog from innit.. hopefully I could visit Philippines next year.. heard lots of stories about beautiful places there :)

Unknown said...

Under #1 you said you bought airline tickets but your itinerary suggests taking the bus.

MJ Manago said...

Hi Dan Arif...

You should come here and visit. I highly recommend Cebu, Baguio and Bohol. If you are into beaches and nature, visit Palawan and Boracay. :)

MJ Manago said...

Hello Nonoy!!

Thanks for reading my blog. Actually, there's no direct flight going to Baguio City. So the best thing to do is get a ticket for Manila (exactly what I did) and from the airport you ride a taxi going to Pasay Bus Terminal. Then ride a bus bound for Baguio. Roughly a 7-hour trip.

Didn't include this since it was already in my previous post. Feel free to check my blog archive.

Hope it helps.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...