Monday, January 23, 2012

SINULOG FESTIVAL 2012 in Cebu

Sinulog is the most sought after festival in the country and I must say in Asia!  It is a festivity which draws the crowd together to worship and give thanks to Sr, Sto. Niño. But do you know that Sinulog was originally a warrior dance and not a religious ritual? The duel is executed with the use of a scythe or in native term (Sundang) together with of a shield and the steps becomes more complicated as the fight becomes more and more intense. But then later on it evolves and became a dance offering to the miraculous image of Sr. Sto. Niño. For more info about its history click here or here !

A day before Sinulog (January 14), I strolled in SM City Cebu and came across with these dancers..



Fast forward to the big day day; Sinulog Festival 2012, I was one of the thousands who witnessed the street party ; and I can only think of one word --- SPECTACULAR!!! Literally, there was a sea of people. Lots of visitors from all over the world. The costumes of the different contingents, the floats, the scarecrows and giants were amazing!

Since I didn't have decent pictures during daylight, here are photos taken by my friend Lalaine. Credit goes to her.

Float Contingent
Dance routine on the streets
Giants and Scarecrow


Lumad Basakanon - A Group to Beat

A photo op with one of the contingents

The winners of Sinulog 2012 are the following:

For Sinulog Based Category
1st - Culturang Placereno with Masbate Dance Company
2nd- Tangub City - Sinanduloy Cultural Troupe
3rd- City of Carcar
4th-  Sta Catalina Negros Oriental
5th- Abellana National High School
Best in Costume: Culturang Placereno


                                                                     Credits to owner
For Free Interpretation:
1st- Tribu Lingganay - Alang-alang, Leyte
2nd- Tribu Himag-ulaw- Placer, Masbate
3rd- Karatong Festival of Dulag Leyte
4th- Lumad Basakanon - Cebu
5th- Toledo National High Vocational School
Best in Costume: Tribu Lingganay - Alang-alang, Leyte


                                                                       Credits to owner

Sinulog 2012 ends with a firework display in some key areas: Cebu City Sports Complex, Crown Regency, SM City Cebu and Ayala Center Cebu. These videos I took are in Ayala.







Pit Senyor to all ! Till next year!


1 comment:

sally said...

First, I didn't know that the Filipinos are mostly Catholic.
Also, I didn't know much about Catholic.
So, I couldn't understand the performances exactly.
Especially, when I saw the winner's performing video, I understood that the child is Jesus Christ.
So, I thought winning performance of the first group video express baby Jesus to go back to his home.
Second video seems to express God's anger, greatful through nature's distruction because of human, and redivivus nature because of god.This video shows 2 kinds of figures: anger and abundance
Not only group dancing, but they have very colorful props that made their performance more dynamic.
And, street dancing looked so interesting.
If I went there, I will be dancing with the performers.
Performer's ability was so great.
How can they make that things? How can they do performance?? Our country doesn't have a big festival. So, I envy other country. If I have a chance to go to your country or another country, I want to see many festivals! I learned about this post regarding your culture. Thank you~!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...